Monday, January 17, 2011

2010 - A Year in Review

Happy New Year!

2010 was certainly a busy year for us in Lake Geneva!  We have been so blessed and are thankful for everything we have been privileged to experience – both good and bad – in the past year!

Of course our biggest news was finding out we were pregnant in March, and the arrival of our Hunter Jonathan on December 15th.  We are adjusting to life with two, and learning the delicate juggling act that is parenthood!  We discovered very quickly how different the second baby is – Hunter is much more calm and easy-going, so very tolerant of his big brother’s many kisses, hugs, high-fives and even screeching through the house!  He is sleeping well, considering his age, and I am finding myself cherishing the little moments so much more this time – after all, I’ve learned firsthand how fast it all really flies by …

Haaken turned 2 in September and we celebrated by throwing a party and renting his very own bounce house for the front yard!  He is growing like a weed and learning something new every day - he is a little guy who definitely knows what he wants, and lets us know! (I am not enjoying the arrival of 2-year-old tantrums!)  He loves to dance around the house, jump on his very own trampoline (a Christmas gift) and play with a seemingly endless supply of toys.  He knows his animals and their sounds, all his colors and is communicating in full (2-year-old) sentences.  He’s recently learned to “step-swing!” when playing T-ball (always hitting a “home run” of course!), use the pedals on his tricycle, count to six and do “thumbs up.”  We go to a weekly “gym” class at our local YMCA which helps him burn some energy and interact with other kids his age.

Dan’s business, DJ Hovestol Construction, has continued to thrive, even amidst a suffering economy and housing market.  We are thankful to have a few key clients that keep him busy, and God has continued to provide work for him.  We also managed to sell our
Pleasant Street
(rental) house in October which was a HUGE answer to prayer!  We were not sad at all to say good bye to the headache of being landlords!!!

In May I completed the online MBA program from UW Whitewater that I began in January 2007.  However, that same month I also left my part-time position at the local electrical contractor where I’d been working for over 3 years.  I hope to someday use the skills and education I’ve gained to help grow DJ Hovestol Construction, but for right now God has opened the door for me to stay home and raise my two growing little men.  While the task does seem daunting at times (I still haven’t figured out how to grocery shop with both kids), I am thankful for the privilege of bringing them into the world and spending so much quality time with them!

Haaken and I enjoyed some traveling in 2010 – a trip to Florida in March to see my family, a weekend in Michigan visiting a high school friend’s family, almost a week in California, and a road trip to Anderson for AU homecoming!  I even got to take two trips this year WITHOUT kids (thank you, Daddy!) - a weekend in Anderson for my brother Jeff’s college graduation in May AND a weekend in Chicago with a college friend in early August!

I consider myself extremely lucky to have retired parents who also have their own place in Lake Geneva!  They made several trips north this year, staying for six weeks both in August/September for Haaken’s birthday & AU homecoming and again in December/January for Hunter’s arrival.  I cannot even put into words how helpful they are with the kids and how much it’s appreciated!

Dan’s parents were also able to make the trip back to the States a couple times in 2010.  They came for a couple weeks in April for his sister Courtney’s wedding in Bemidji, Minnesota.  Their "official" furlough was then for about another 5 weeks in September for Haaken’s birthday and the arrival of Sydney Anne on September 24th, Courtney’s daughter and our first niece!

We are looking forward to what 2011 has to hold for our growing family, and pray God’s blessings on you and yours for the coming year as well!

Love
Dan, Kristin, Haaken & Hunter Hovestol
(Kona too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment